Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 30, 2011

Hot and Sour Soup with Bean Sprouts

I was feeling like I was coming down with a cold today, so I decided some healthy hot and sour soup would be perfect.  Having never made it before I headed out to the local grocery store and picked up the ingredients (as I live in a smaller rural community I didn't expect to find everything, but surprisingly I did!)  The complex flavours of this soup epitomize Chinese cooking as they include spice, sweet, sour and savoury...absolutely delicious, easy and I must say, I am feeling tons better after eating a bowlful!!!
HOT AND SOUR SOUP WITH BEAN SPROUTS
Ingredients:
1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms (I bought a pre-sliced package)
1/2 cup enoki mushrooms***
1/2 cup finely sliced bamboo shoots
4 cups miso stock (I bought cubes as there wasn't miso paste available at the store, but you can also use a chicken stock, the soup will just appear lighter in colour)
1/2 package of firm tofu, finely diced
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp granulated sugar
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
2 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp water
1 tsp sesame oil
1 egg, beaten
2 green onions thinly sliced
1 large handful of bean sprouts
  • Place the bamboo shoots and mushrooms into a large pot with the stock.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
  • Add the soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, pepper, salt and tofu.  Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.  Mix the cornstarch and water in a separate bowl until well combined.  Add some of the hot stock and stir well.  Gently pour the cornstarch into the soup stirring well.
  • Turn the heat off, add the sesame oil, green onions and bean sprouts.  Gently pour the beaten egg into the soup and stir.
  • Serve and enjoy!
*If you want a little more heat in your soup, Add 1 tbsp of sambal oelek or dried chili flakes!
** If you are using dried shiitake mushrooms, place them in a bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to soften for 20 minutes.  Drain and use.
***Enoki mushrooms are miniature button mushrooms that grow in fibrous clumps.  Simply pull off the desired amount, trim the ends and use!

No comments:

Post a Comment