- Heat the butter in a large pot. Add the onion and saute, stirring until soft (approx. 3 to 5 minutes). Stir in the curry powder, and cook to bring out the flavour. Stir constantly for 2 minutes to prevent burning and sticking.
- Add the stock, squash, apple and sage. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until the squash and apple are soft.
- Meanwhile, make the horseradish cream by beating the cream until it has frothed up, fold in the horseradish sauce and curry until well combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Puree the soup in a blender, food processor, or using an immersion blender. Add apple juice, season with the salt and pepper. Reheat gently without boiling.
- Serve the soup in bowls topped with a spoonful of the horseradish cream and sprinkled with lime zest!
Friday, December 30, 2011
Squash and Apple Soup with Horseradish Cream
SQUASH AND APPLE SOUP WITH HORSERADISH CREAM
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
1 cooking apple, peeled, cored, and diced
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tsp curry powder
4 cups vegetable stock
1 tsp chopped fresh sage (or 1/2 tsp dried)
2/3 cup apple juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Lime rind for garnish (optional)
4 tbsp 18% cream
2 tsp horseradish sauce
1/2 tsp curry powder