My mother-in-law made her own pumpkin pie filling and then brought us a loaf of pumpkin bread that she made! This inspired me to make my own and I must admit I used canned pumpkin (despite my best intentions to make my own from the pie pumpkins that we got from Cooper's CSA Farm & Maze). This was such an incredibly easy, delicious and moist cake that we just gobbled it up!!!
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease and flour a 10" bundt pan or tube pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the eggs with a large fork until well blended. Mix in the sugar. Add the oil in a steady stream, mixing all the while, until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- Mix in the pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, clove and salt. Add the baking soda and baking powder in pinches, breaking up any lumps with your fingers. Stir in thoroughly.
- Stir in the whole wheat and all-purpose flours just until blended. Stir in the walnuts or chocolate chips.
- Pour and scrape the batter into the pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Invert, remove the pan, and cool on the rack for about 15 minutes more.