- Heat the extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) in a Dutch oven or a large skillet. Saute the onions, garlic, and bay leaves over medium heat until the onion is soft (approx. 6 minutes). Add the tomato paste, salt and black pepper. Continue stirring until the tomato paste turns a dark, brick red colour.
- Add the bell peppers and saute until they are softened (approx. 10 minutes). Add the wine and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook the peppers for a further 20-30 minutes.
- Uncover, increase the heat to medium and stir until most of the liquid has evaporated 20 to 25 mins. Remove the bay leaves and add in basil leaves, balsamic vinegar and salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!!
Tuesday, July 24, 2012
1/2 cup EVOO
1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, finely diced
3 bay leaves
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt and 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
6 bell peppers (2 red, 2 yellow, 2 green) roughly chopped into 2" dice
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 bunch fresh basil, torn
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
Thursday, July 5, 2012
BROCCOLI CRAISIN SALAD
4 cups broccoli florets
1 cup chopped red peppers
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup Craisins
1/2 cup raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
4 spring onions, diced
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
2 tbsp dark agave syrup
- In a large serving bowl, combine the first six ingredients.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar and agave syrup until well combined. Pour over the vegetables and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour prior to serving.