- Place sugar into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Measure out 1/4 cup of coconut oil and place in a microwave safe container. Heat for 30 seconds or until liquid. Pour over sugar and combine thoroughly.
- Zest the rind of the lemon. Cut lemon in 1/2 and juice, removing seeds. Add to sugar mixture and stir well to combine.
- Put into mason jars and store next to the bathtub or in the shower!
- ENJOY your newly soft skin!!
Tuesday, January 5, 2016
LEMON SUGAR SCRUB
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil
*If the mixture is too wet once the lemon juice and coconut oil is added to the sugar, simply add 1/2 cup more of sugar.
For Christmas Eve dinner everyone chose my homemade macaroni and cheese with garlic bread for dinner, but I decided to surprise them with a traditional dessert that the whole family loves, but with a tropical twist! I found this recipe in "Alive" magazine and it is a definite keeper!!
TOASTED COCONUT RICE PUDDING WITH BANANAS
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut chips (I bought some in the organic section of the grocery store and they were made by "Hippy Snacks")
4 cups unsweetened plain coconut milk beverage (can be found in the refrigerator section at the grocery store - mine is made by "Silk")
1/2 cup arborio rice
1/4 cup short-grain brown rice
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp ground allspice
2 bananas sliced, or any tropical fruit of your choosing (mango, pineapple, etc)
- In a large pot or large high-sided skillet, stirring constantly, bring 3 cups coconut milk, arborio rice, and brown rice to a boil. Reduce to medium and cook uncovered, stirring often, for 20 minutes. Reduce to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes longer.
- Stir in remaining cup of coconut milk, 1/2 cup coconut chips, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and allspice. Continue to cook uncovered over medium-low heat, stirring often, for 10 to 20 minutes or until mixture is thickened and rice is tender.
- Chill pudding for at least 6 hours.
- Serve garnished with banana slices and remaining coconut.
*If you cannot find coconut chips, unsweetened shredded coconut that has been toasted, is a good substitute.
*If you do not like coconut, substitute the coconut milk with almond milk, and replace the coconut chips with slivered blanched almonds.