- DAY 1: In a large non-reactive bowl, layer watermelon rind and salt, using about 1/3 of each per layer. Place a plate on top to weigh down rind. Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hrs or up to 24 hrs.
- DAY 2: In a sieve, working in batches, drain rind and rinse well. Drain again.
- In a large pot combine rind and enough cold water to cover by about 1". Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. reduce heat and boil gently for about 10 minutes or until fork tender. Drain well and set aside.
- In a large clean pot combine cinnamon sticks, sugar, cloves, nutmeg, vinegar and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often until sugar is dissolved.
- Add rind and simmer, gently stirring occasionally for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs or until rind is translucent and looks glassy. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare canner, jars and lids.
- Using a slotted spoon, pack rind and whole spices into hot jars, leaving 1" headspace and dividing spices as evenly as possible between jars. Pour in hot pickling liquid, leaving 1/2" headspace and removing air bubbles.
- Wipe rim and place hot lid disc on jar. Screw band down until fingertip tight.
- Place jars in canner and return to a boil. Process for 10 minutes. Turn off heat, remove canner lid and let jars stand in water for 5 minutes. Transfer jars to a towel-lined surface and let stand for 24 hours. Check lids and reprocess any jars whose lids did not seal.
*If you prefer a milder spice flavour, just discard the whole spices instead of adding them to the jars!*