For a month I have been placed (willingly, I might add!) on a rebalancing diet which essentially means no wheat, cow's milk products, refined cane sugars, soy products, or yeasts. This can be extremely tricky for the uninitiated - fortunately I have virtually been cooking this way for a year since my daughter India, and husband Greg, have also been on this diet and chosen to eat this way permanently because of how wonderful they felt afterwards.
I have my annual book club meeting tonight at the house of my girlfriend, Kathy (who is also on the same rebalancing diet!) and so, I decided to whip up these little treats for us to snack on!!! They are really yummy and I obtained almost all of the ingredients at my local "Bulk Barn"! The recipe comes from an amazing blog ~ gingerlemongirl which you should all check out! As you can see from the photos, I made a dozen mini-cupcakes for the book club, and the others were for India and Devon as an after-school treat!! This recipe will make a dozen regular sized cupcakes (there was one large and small cupcake that I didn't photograph as they are presently in my stomach!!!)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cupcake cups and dust pan lightly with sweet rice flour.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients. Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Add milk, oil, vanilla, and beaten eggs. Whisk together until combined and pour into prepared cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Do not over bake as these can dry out quickly!!
- Cool cupcakes completely before frosting.
- In a large bowl mix peanut butter with powdered sugar. Add vanilla and non-dairy milk. You can add more or less milk to create the consistency you prefer.
- Spread peanut butter icing over completely cooled cupcakes.
- In another bowl melt chocolate chips and oil over a pot of simmering water, until melted. Whisk in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you get a drizzling chocolate sauce consistency. Drizzle glaze over frosted cupcakes.
- Serve immediately or chill.