- In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally until beginning to brown (2 to 4 minutes). Reduce heat to medium and cook until the onion is richly browned (5 to 7 minutes more). Add the garlic and ginger; cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Add coriander, cumin, turmeric, and cayenne; stir for 30 seconds to toast the spices. Add the tomato paste and stir until well blended with the spices.
- Add the broth, coconut milk, cinnamon stick, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and carrots. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- Stir in the chickpeas, spinach, lime juice, and zest; cook until the spinach has wilted (about 3 minutes).
- Serve garnished with the cilantro and ENJOY!
Wednesday, January 11, 2012
South Indian-Style Vegetable Curry
SOUTH INDIAN-STYLE VEGETABLE CURRY
2 tbsp coconut oil, or olive oil
1 large yellow onion, finely diced
4 medium cloves garlic, minced
1-2" piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup light coconut milk
1-3" cinnamon stick
Sea salt and black pepper
1 small cauliflower, broken into florets
1lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1" cubes
2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 lrg carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2" thick rounds
1can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4 lightly packed cups of fresh baby spinach
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp finely grated lime zest
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro