- Preheat oven to 425F. Prepare a rimmed cookie sheet by sprinkling with 2 tsp cornmeal. Set aside.
- In a small microwavable bowl, pour olive oil over the garlic and onions and microwave, uncovered at high for 1 minute, or until softened (*I generally place the ingredients in a small pan and saute till softened)
- In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in shortening until it becomes coarse crumbs. Add milk all at once and mix to make a soft, sticky dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead approx. 10 times (avoid overworking the dough!) Roll out to fit pan.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the crust. Arrange tomatoes, mushrooms, and onion mixture on top of the cheese. Sprinkle with basil, oregano, pepper and Parmesan.
- Bake in bottom third of preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and crust is browned.
- Slide on to a cooling rack and let cool for 5 minutes prior to cutting into squares.
Thursday, January 5, 2012
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
Pinch of dried rosemary
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
2 medium hot house tomatoes, sliced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Reggiano
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup cold shortening (or cold butter)
3/4 cup milk