- In a small bowl, whisk together honey, vinegar and cayenne. Set aside.
- Add about 3" of water to a large pot, add salt and bring to a boil. Toss in kale and parboil about 3 minutes. Drain, and let kale dry out in sieve.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and stir-fry until they start to colour (approx 5 minutes). Remove to a small dish. Increase heat in skillet to medium high and add salami strips. Cook until crisp. Transfer the salami to another dish.
- Add kale to skillet and toss quickly. Kale should just be heated otherwise it will overcook and become soggy. Remove from the heat, add honey mixture and shallots and toss. Season to taste with pepper. Transfer the kale to your serving bowl or platter and garnish with the salami.
Monday, December 3, 2012
This is a super quick as well as super nutritious side dish ... not to mention super tasty!!! ENJOY!!
KALE WITH CRISPY SALAMI
1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
3 tsp sea salt
5 cups of kale leaves, torn into bite-sized pieces
2 tbsp olive oil
3 large shallots, peeled and sliced into thin rings
8 thin slices of salami, cut into narrow strips (Italian or Hungarian are our faves!)
Last night I decided to try something a little bit different with the boneless, skinless chicken thighs that I had defrosted - and they were a hit with the entire family (PHEW!) This recipe is easy and tasty, and paired with roasted root vegetables that can be baked in the oven at the same time and temperature as the chicken thighs, you have one super tasty dinner!
ASIAN GLAZED CHICKEN THIGHS
1/2 cup rice vinegar
5 tbsp honey
1/3 cup of soy sauce
1/4 sesame oil
3 tbsp Asian chili garlic sauce
3 tbsp minced garlic
Salt, to taste
8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- Whisk together all the ingredients before the chicken thighs. Pour half of the marinade into a large freezer bag and add chicken thighs.
- Place bag in fridge and allow to marinate for at least 1 hour or up to 12 hours, turning often.
- Pour the other half of the marinade into a small saucepan and place over medium high heat stirring often to thicken.
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Remove chicken thighs from the bag and discard used marinade. Place chicken thighs into a 9x13 baking dish. Brush thighs with 1/3 of the thickened marinade
- Bake in the oven, uncovered for 30 minutes. Brush with another 1/3 of the marinade and bake for another 5 minutes. Check temperature of the thighs with a thermometer - it should read 165F. Remove thighs from oven and let stand.
- Meanwhile reheat the remaining 1/3 of marinade. Place thighs on plate and drizzle marinade over top.
- Serve and ENJOY!