- Tie cinnamon stick pieces, cloves, and allspice into a square of cheesecloth creating a spice bag.
- In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine vinegar, water and spice bag. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add melon to saucepan. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Stir sugar into cantaloupe mixture and return to medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until melon becomes transparent, about 45 minutes. Discard spice bag.
- Meanwhile, prepare canner, jars and lids as usual if you intend to preserve the melons.
- Pack cantaloupe into hot jars within a generous 1/2" of top of jar. Ladle hot syrup into jar and cover cantaloupe, leaving 1 cm (1/2" headspace). Wipe rim. Centre lid on jar and screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.
- Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 20 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.
If you intend to make and refrigerate these pickles for immediate use, ensure that they are eaten within a few weeks of preparation.