- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cook the cauliflower in a pot of boiling water until softened. Drain and place in a 9"x9" casserole dish and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the pot over medium-high heat and whisk in the flour. Once combined, slowly add the milk as you are whisking. Keep whisking as you bring the mixture to a boil and it thickens. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the lemon pepper, paprika, lemon rind and egg yolks, working quickly to avoid the egg and lemon splitting the mixture (causing it to get the appearance of scrambled eggs).
- Add half the cheese and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower and top with the remaining grated cheese. Place in oven for 15 -20 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown on top.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tuesday, August 3, 2010
Lemon Cauliflower Cheese
Another delicious vegetable that is in season right now is cauliflower! My family's favourite way to enjoy cruciferous veggie is baked with a lemon cheese sauce ~ it's delicious and simple to prepare, requiring few ingredients.
LEMON CAULIFLOWER CHEESE
1 head of cauliflower, cut into florettes
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 tsp lemon pepper (or 1/2 each of salt and pepper)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp lemon rind
2 egg yolks, beaten
1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese