We have been experiencing a deep freeze lately (- 44C with windchill...really?!) and weather like this calls for comfort foods such as stew. I made this dish with ingredients we had on hand and it is a family favourite! This is absolutely delicious when served with crusty bread or garlic toast!
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Place whole sausages in the pot and saute, turning frequently, until evenly browned but not fully cooked. Remove sausages from pot and set aside on a cutting board. Slice sausages into 1" chunks.
- Place onions, garlic, and leeks in pot. Saute until onions are translucent, stirring constantly to prevent garlic burning.
- Add carrots, potatoes, paprika, thyme, bay leaves and pepper. Saute 8 to 10 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add passata, beef stock and beans. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add sausages, stir and cover. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaves.
- Serve with crusty bread or garlic toast. ENJOY!
*Passata should be a pantry staple - it is inexpensive and versatile!
*By not draining the beans, the stew will become thicker.