- Preheat oven to 400F. Do not peel zucchini. Coarsely grate. Spread out over paper towels and top with more paper towel. Press to remove excess water. Turn into a large bowl.
- Sprinkle the zucchini with cornstarch and mix well. Add cheese and onions. Stir to mix. Whisk egg white, and stir into zucchini mixture along with generous pinches of salt and black pepper.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop approximately 1/4 cup of the mixture onto the baking sheet, and gently press down to flatten. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Bake on the centre rack in the oven until fritters start to firm up and are golden on the bottom (approx. 15 to 20 mins). Turn over the fritters carefully at this stage as they are still soft. Continue to bake until set and golden brown (a further 8 to 10 mins). Let stand a couple of mins before serving so the fritters will firm up.
- Meanwhile, squeeze 1 tbsp juice from the lemon into a small bowl. Stir in mayonnaise and mustard. Serve fritters with the sauce.
Thursday, August 8, 2013
Zucchini & Cheddar Fritters
ZUCCHINI & CHEDDAR FRITTERS
2 small zucchini
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar (I used goat cheddar)
2 green onions, thinly sliced (I used my garlic scape and spinach pesto)
1 egg white
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp Dijon mustard (preferably grainy)