- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook noodles according to the package directions; drain. Transfer to a 13" x 9" baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skill, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until tender. In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch, milk and seasonings until smooth; gradually stir into the skillet. Stir in the broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes until thickened.
- Stir in 3/4 cup cheese until melted; stir in broccoli and tuna.
- Spoon tuna mixture over the noodles; mix well. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Toss bread crumbs with the melted butter and sprinkle evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Bake, covered with tin foil, for 45 minutes. Remove the foil covering and bake for a further 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
Saturday, August 31, 2013
Tuna Broccoli Casserole
TUNA BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
5 cups uncooked egg noodles (I substituted rice pasta)
1 tsp butter
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 cups fat free milk (I substituted goat milk)
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried thyme
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided (I substituted goat cheddar)
4 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed (I used fresh and steamed them prior to use)
2 cans of drained white tuna
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs (I used all rice bread crumbs)
1 tbsp butter melted