- On a baking sheet, toast pecans in 325F oven for approx. 6 mins. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Cut egg bread into 3/4" thick slices; dip into egg mixture until soaked.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tbsp butter over medium heat and cook the slices, in batches and adding more butter as needed, until golden, approx. 3 minutes. Transfer to 2 rimmed cookie sheets. Bake in the oven at 350F until puffed and heated through, approx. 8 mins. Place in a large 9" x 13" casserole dish, and set aside.
- Caramelized Bananas: Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, melt half of the butter over medium high heat. Fry half of the bananas, turning once, until golden and tender, approx. 3 mins. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining bananas.
- In the same skillet, bring maple syrup and brown sugar to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer for 2 mins. Stir in bananas; simmer for 1 minute.
- Spoon over the French toast and sprinkle with the pecans.
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
French Toast with Caramelized Bananas & Pecans
FRENCH TOAST WITH CARAMELIZED BANANAS & PECANS
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups 5% cream or milk
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 loaf of egg bread
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp butter
6 firm peeled bananas, halved crosswise and lengthwise
1 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup packed brown sugar