- In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, chili powder, cayenne (if using), and cumin. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 5 mins. Transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pot heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil. Add the apples and onion and saute until soft, stirring constantly. Approximately 6 mins. Add to the turkey mixture.
- In the same pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in the chicken (or turkey) broth and milk until thickened, approx. 3 mins.
- Stir in the turkey-apple mixture and beans. Bring to a simmer, then stir in the cheese.
- Serve with cornbread muffins, tortilla chips, or crusty bread!
Saturday, October 16, 2010
Creamy Turkey & Apple Chili
CREAMY TURKEY & APPLE CHILI
1/4 cup EVOO
2 lbs of turkey meat, cut into 1/2" cubes
4 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
Dash of cayenne (if you like it a little on the hot side!)
Salt & pepper, to taste
2 apples, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
1 onion, diced
4 tbsp butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups homemade chicken broth (or turkey)
3/4 cup milk
Two 15oz cans of white kidney beans, chickpeas, or Romano beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or Asiago cheese