- Trim off fat from beef and cut across the grain into thin strips. In a bowl, sprinkle the beef with cumin, cinnamon and 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper. Stir to coat.
- In a large skillet melt half of the butter over medium-high heat. Brown beef strips in batches, adding more butter if necessary; transfer to a clean bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium. Melt remaining butter in the skillet and add the onion and sweet potatoes. Saute for approx. 3 mins. or until onion is softened. Add beef broth, increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Whisk flour into the milk and gradually stir into the skillet; bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, for approx. 5 mins or until sweet potatoes are almost tender.
- Stir in the green bell pepper. Simmer, stirring often, for 3 mins, or until pepper is tender-crisp and the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in beef with accumulated juices and tomato paste; simmer for 2 mins. or until beef is hot. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve sprinkled with toasted almonds & ENJOY!!
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Tender Beef & Sweet Potato Saute
I found this recipe in 2010's "Milk" calendar and it caught my eye because it required ingredients that I generally have on hand in the fridge/pantry/freezer and combines all the flavours I love! It notes that you can also spice this dish up with 1/4 tsp cayenne added to the beef, as well as sweeten the dish with 1/4 cup of raisins, sliced green olives and 1 tbsp capers with the green peppers....next time I'm going to try these variations!
TENDER BEEF AND SWEET POTATO SAUTE
1lb boneless beef sirloin or other grilling steak
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
salt and pepper
1 tbsp butter, divided
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 cups diced sweet potato
3/4 cup reduced -sodium beef broth
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 green bell pepper, chopped (I used yellow because that's what I had in the fridge!)
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (optional garnish)