- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over low heat. Stir in the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until beginning to soften.
- Add the garlic, pepper, potatoes, chilies, and tomatoes. Stir well to coat the vegetables evenly with the oil. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, or until vegetables are softened.
- Meanwhile, toast the peanuts by gently cooking them in a large dry frying pan over medium heat. Ensure that you keep stirring to prevent the peanuts from burning.
- Remove from heat and process the peanuts in a food processor until finely ground. Either add the vegetables and continue processing until a smooth consistency, or add nuts to the soup and use an immersion blender to process the vegetables.
- Return the mixture to the dutch oven and stir in the beef stock. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes so the flavours can combine.
- Pour the soup into heated bowls and garnish with a swirl of peanut butter and some dried red chili flakes.
* You can substitute peanut butter for the unsalted peanuts, but ensure that you use equal quantities of chunky and smooth to get the ideal texture - you want some coarser chopped peanuts to add some crunch to the soup!*