Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Chinese Five-Spice Chicken

I'll admit it - I run out of dinner ideas and sometimes just don't want to cook dinner.  These are the times that I go to my library of cookbooks and see what inspires me.  Tonight I really didn't know what to make for dinner and with the clock showing 4:30pm, I decided that I better hurry up and decide!  I grabbed my "Looneyspoons" cookbook and  happened to have everything for this recipe in my fridge and pantry.

CHINESE FIVE-SPICE CHICKEN
Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1" cubes
1 tsp of Chinese five-spice powder*
1 cup trimmed and halved snow peas
1 cup thinly sliced sweet red pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp grated ginger root
3 cups low-sodium, reduced-fat chicken broth
1 1 /2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
1/2 cup chopped green onions
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp each crushed red pepper flakes and black pepper
  • Combine chicken and five-spice powder in a large bowl.  Toss or stir to coat chicken evenly with spice.
  • Spray a large saucepan with non-stick spray.  Add chicken and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until no longer pink.
  • Add snow peas, red pepper, garlic and ginger root.  Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
  • Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low.  Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until liquid is absorbed by rice and chicken is very tender!
*Five-spice powder is a seasoning commonly used in Chinese cooking.  It is a blend of cumin, cloves, fennel, Szechuan peppercorns, and star anise.  You can find it in most supermarkets and of course, Asian specialty stores!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment