- Heat the oil and butter in a Dutch oven (or a large pot) and saute the onions for 3 minutes, or until softened but not coloured. Add the garlic, carrots and parsnips, cover and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally so the garlic doesn't stick to the bottom and burn.
- Stir in the pumpkin and saute for a further 5 minutes. Add the stock, bring to a boil, and cover and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Allow the soup to cool slightly, then pour into a food processor or blender (or use an immersion blender) and puree until smooth, adding a little extra water if it becomes too thick.
- Pour back into the clean pot and reheat gently without boiling. Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper and taste.
- In a small skillet, heat 1 1/2 tsp olive oil and saute the herbs and paprika until just wilted.
- Pour the soup into bowls and swirl the garnish into the soup ~ ENJOY!
Monday, November 28, 2011
Moroccan Vegetable Soup
MOROCCAN VEGETABLE SOUP
1 tbsp olive or sunflower oil
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped parsnips
1 1/2 cups peeled, seeded & chopped pumpkin*
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
Lemon juice, to taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley and cilantro, mixed
A generous pinch of paprika
*If you don't have a small pumpkin, you can substitute hubbard , butternut, or acorn squash!