- Heat milk in a heavy pot over medium heat until simmering. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Whisk together egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until well combined. Stir in flour.
- Whisk milk mixture into egg yolks and return to pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Pour custard into a mixing bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin forming. Cool.
- Slowly melt chocolate in a heavy pot over low heat. Remove form heat and brush the inside of the baked pastry shell with melted chocolate. Place in freezer to solidify the chocolate.
- Pour cooled custard into shell. Arrange raspberries in circles on top of the custard.
- Place redcurrant jelly and sweet wine in a small pot and boil for 1 minute. Cool until glaze is room temperature, but still liquid. Drizzle or brush glaze over the fruit and leave the tart in a cool place until ready to serve.
Monday, September 6, 2010
Raspberry & Custard Tart
I was invited to my friend Kathy's for an end of the summer dinner, so I offered to make my "Roasted Corn and Dill Potato Salad", as well as this delicious-looking dessert!!! This recipe comes from the LCBO's "Food & Drink ~ Summer 2010" magazine. It's actually quite easy...perhaps I am more of a baker than I thought!!!
RASPBERRY & CUSTARD TART
1 cup milk
1 tsp real vanilla extract
3 free-range egg yolks
3 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
3 oz bittersweet chocolate
1 baked sweet pastry shell (9")
2 cups raspberries
1/2 cup redcurrant jelly (I only had cherry and it worked fine)
1 tbsp sweet wine or brandy