Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Summer Vegetables with a Spicy Coconut Curry

I have to admit that the two vegetables I really don't enjoy are eggplant and green beans. Both of which I have received recently in my CSA boxes from "Cooper's CSA Farm & Maze"...so when I saw this recipe in July's edition of 'Chatelaine', I decided to give it a go since I do love coconut, curry and lentils!
It was DELICIOUS!!! My husband and I loved all of it; the kids tried it but predictably ate only the lentils (dal) on top!

SUMMER VEGETABLES WITH SPICY COCONUT CURRY
Ingredients
1/2 cup red lentils
500g green beans, trimmed and cut in half
2 tbsp Indian curry paste (I used a Tikki Masala sauce because that's what I had on hand)
1/2 can (200mL) of coconut milk, preferably light
1/8 tsp salt
2 Japanese eggplants (I used Sicilian because this is what I had)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 small onion, sliced
lemon wedges
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
4 whole wheat naan breads (optional)
  • Combine the lentils with 2 1/2 cups water in a medium pot. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-high and simmer uncovered, stirring frequently, until lentils soften. Approximately 8 minutes. Set green beans in a steamer basket over the lentils. Steam covered for 7 minutes and remove. Mix curry paste with 1 tbsp water and then add to the simmering lentils. Stir in the coconut milk and salt. Simmer, uncovered for 7 to 9 minutes more, or until thickened.
  • Slice eggplants in quarters lengthwise then into 2" wedges while lentils simmer. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a skillet and saute onions until softened. Add eggplant and cook till tender (approx. 7 minutes). Add steamed green beans and toss to combine.
  • Serve the green beans, onions and eggplant with the creamy lentils over top and garnish with cilantro and lemon wedges!

*I don't have a steamer basket so I steamed the green beans separately. Also since I used a curry sauce and not a paste, I omitted the water. Lastly Japanese eggplants are generally firmer in texture than Sicilian*

No comments:

Post a Comment