Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Asian Chicken with Vegetables


As I am sitting here eating a bowl of steel-cut oatmeal with blueberries and cinnamon, and my apple sauce is 'doing its thing' on the cook top, I thought I would share with you an easy and DELICIOUS dinner that I made last night from the "Foodland Ontario" collection of recipes booklet that is available now (I got mine at Siloam Orchards, but I believe Cooper's CSA Farm & Maze also has them!)

All of my family loved this recipe (okay, so India loved the chicken and cabbage ONLY, but she still ate it!). I had a cooked whole chicken in the fridge from Cooper's, a Napa cabbage that desperately needed using, carrots and potatoes from the farm and just had to add store-bought mushrooms and water chestnuts! It's a low cal (200 calories/ bowl), high protein (20 grams), and fibre rich meal (5 grams) that is easy to prepare!!! Try it tonight!!
ASIAN CHICKEN WITH VEGETABLES
Ingredients:
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks (I shredded my pre-cooked chicken)
3 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup naturally brewed soy sauce
2 tbsp granulated sugar
2 medium carrots, sliced diagonally in 1/2" slices
2 medium white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
250g sliced mushrooms; crimini or shiitake (I used regular button)
4 cups thickly sliced cabbage
1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained (optional)
  • Heat oil in a deep skillet or wok, over medium high heat and saute chicken for 2 to 3 minutes or until no longer pink.
  • Add chicken broth, soy sauce, sugar, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms and cabbage; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
  • Stir in water chestnuts, if using, and heat until hot.
  • Serve in wide bowls and ENJOY!

*I also had a can of bamboo shoots which I sliced and added to this dish, and I garnished with sliced green onions for colour!*

No comments:

Post a Comment