- Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the chopped onion and parsnips and saute for approximately 3 minutes.
- Stir in the spices and cook for 1 minute more, or until fragrant.
- Add the stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Cool slightly and then puree in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Return to the pot and add the cream, heating gently.
- Put into bowls and garnish with fresh coriander...ENJOY!
ROASTED TOMATO & PASTA SOUP
1 lb ripe Italian plum tomatoes (although I used grape tomatoes), halved lengthwise
1 large red bell pepper, sliced lengthwise and seeded
1 large red onion, quartered
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp olive oil
5 cups vegetable stock
pinch of granulated sugar
1 cup small pasta
salt and ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F and spread out the tomatoes, garlic, onions and peppers on a roasting pan and drizzle with the olive oil. Roast for 30 to 45 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and slightly charred. Turn them halfway through the cooking time to ensure even roasting.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables to a food processor and add 1 cup of stock. Process until pureed. Scrape into a sieve and press the puree through into a Dutch oven. Discard the solids.
- Add the remaining stock , sugar and salt and pepper. Bring to the boil.
- Add the pasta and simmer for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until al dente. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
*You can roast the vegetables in advance, allow them to cool then leave them in a covered bowl in the refrigerator overnight before pureeing*
IRISH LEEK & BLUE CHEESE SOUP
3 large leeks
1/4 cup butter
2 tbsp oil
4oz blue cheese (if I had Cashel blue I would have used an Irish cheese)
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tbsp wholegrain Irish mustard
6 1/4 cups chicken stock
ground black pepper
- Slice the leeks thinly. Heat the butter in a large Dutch oven and add the oil. Gently saute the leeks in the oil and butter until softened, but not brown.
- Grate the cheese (or crumble it like I did!), and add it to the pot, stirring over a low heat until it is melted. Add the flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Add ground black pepper and mustard to taste.
- Gradually add the stock, stirring constantly and blending it in well. Bring the soup to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH & APPLE SOUP
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 cooking apple, peeled, cored and chopped
2 tbsp butter
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tsp curry powder
3 3/4 cups vegetable stock
1 tsp chopped fresh sage (or 1/4 tsp of dried)
2/3 cup apple juice
salt and pepper
- Heat the butter in a large Dutch oven, over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in the curry powder. Cook to bring out the flavour and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, squash, apple and sage. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the squash and apples are soft.
- Puree the soup in blender or food processor. Return to the pot and add the apple juice. Taste and season accordingly.