- Heat cooking oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add next 4 ingredients (beef to garlic). Saute until ground beef is no longer pink.
- Add next 9 ingredients (paprika to cinnamon). Heat and stir for about 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add next 4 ingredients (chickpeas to tomato sauce). Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium low. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Add yogurt. Heat and stir for 10 minutes until heated through.
- Serve with either naan or pappadums!!
BUTTERNUT & BEEF CHILI
1 lb lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper
3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
3 cups peeled, seeded and chopped butternut squash
3 cups water
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 1/2 tsp each: dried oregano, ground cumin, chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 16oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cup small pitted olives
2 to 3 tsp seeded, minced jalapenos
6 tbsp thinly sliced green onions
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine the first 3 ingredients (beef - peppers) in a lagre Dutch oven. Saute over medium-high heat until beef is browned and onions are transluscent.
- Stir in the next 10 ingredients (tomatoes - garlic). Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Stir in olves and jalapenos and cook 5 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and top with green onions and cilantro (I actually incorporated these into the chili before putting it into my containters for freezing).
2 tsp cooking oil
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup roasted red peppers, drained, blotted dry and cut into 1/4" strips
4 oz can of diced green chilis, or 3 tbsp freshly chopped and seeded jalapenos
1/2 tsp chili powder
6 - 9" flour tortillas
4 large eggs
2 cups milk
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium. Add ground beef and onion. Saute until beef is browned.
- Add the next 3 ingredients (peppers - chili powder). Heat and stir for 2 to 3 minutes, or until fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Place 1 flour tortilla in a greased 3 quart (3L) round casserole. Fold eges if necessary to fit into casserole dish. Spread 1/2 cup of the beef mixture over top. Repeat, layering remaining tortillas and beef mixture, ending with a tortilla.
- Whisk the next three ingredients together in a bowl (eggs - cumin) and pour over top the tortillas in the casserole.
- Top with the grated cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavours to blend and the tortillas to absorb the liquid.
- Bake uncovered in a 350F oven for approximately 1 1/4 hours until puffed and golden.
- Cut into wedges and serve with salad and salsa!