Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 30, 2009

Braised Red Cabbage



Admittedly I didn't grow up eating cabbage and have only started enjoying it for about the past 5 years ~ and I've discovered that I LOVE it! Savoy is my favourite and I use it in a pasta dish quite frequently, and I love green cabbage for salad etc., but when I received a red cabbage in my CSA box I was a little flummoxed! I hadn't really used one outside of grating it into a coleslaw. So I turned to my trusty reference site http://www.recipezaar.com/ and found this simple and easy recipe that requires 5 ingredients (6 if you decide to top it with crumbled goat's cheese like I did!) and tastes fantastic! It's sweet and tart while the goat's cheese juxtaposes the slight crunch of the cabbage, perfectly!

BRAISED RED CABBAGE
Ingredients:
1 head chopped red cabbage
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 1/2 tbsp butter
2 1/2 tbsp sugar
  • Heat the white wine vinegar, water, butter and the sugar together in an ovenproof casserole dish (I used my enamelled cast iron baking dish whose lid can handle the high heat in an oven), until the sugar dissolves.
  • Add the cabbage and stir till it's coated with the vinegar mixture.
  • Cover and braise in an oven at 325F for 2 hours, stirring every half an hour or so to ensure even cooking.
  • Remove from oven, transfer to a serving and dish and crumble creamy goat's cheese over top (optional).
  • ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment