Powered By Blogger

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Toasted Spiced Chickpeas

We have all been suffering with colds and flu so I decided it was high time for a spicy meal (trouble was, I really didn't feel like cooking!)  So I decided the pulses are quick and easy to cook, and filling ~ perfect!
My friend Andrea had given me a book last year entitled "Indian Food Made Easy" by Anjum Anand and it is fabulous!!  I got this recipe from her book and ALL of us thoroughly enjoyed them...in fact we had seconds!

TOASTED SPICED CHICKPEAS
Ingredients
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 - 3/4 (depending on your taste!) tsp of red chili powder
1 1/4 tsp ground coriander
3/4 tsp garam masala
400g can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Salt to taste
2 tbsp boiled water
Handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
  • Heat the oil in a large skillet.  Add the cumin seeds and fry for about 30 to 40 seconds, or until they give off their aroma and start to darken.
  • Add the remaining spices and salt and cook for 10 seconds.  Add the chickpeas and stir to coat well in the spices.  Saute for 2 minutes, then add the water and coriander leaves.  Cook for a further minute and serve!
*I didn't have the fresh coriander leaves, but the chickpeas were delicious without it still!*

No comments:

Post a Comment