Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Slow Cooker Beef Stew

I am having a bit of a love affair with my slow cooker lately!  I just enjoy being able to plop all the ingredients into it, covering the dish and leaving it all day.  When it is dinnertime, VOILA!  Dinner is ready and I'm not spending tons of time in the kitchen (instead I am using it much more effectively by helping the kids do their homework...sigh!) 
This is one of my go-to easy peasy beef stews which has a changeable recipe depending on what root vegetables I have.  Sometimes for kicks I throw in parsnips, sweet potatoes, and turnips!  Experiment with whatever you have in your vegetable bin and try it for yourself!

SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW
Ingredients:
2 lbs stewing beef, in 1/2" cubes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
 1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 cups beef stock
1 garlic clove, chopped or minced
1 bay leaf
4 carrots, diced (or 1 lb bag of whole baby carrots)
2 onions, diced
1 rib celery, diced
3 potatoes diced in 1" cubes
2 cups tomatoes, diced

  • Place meat in the slow cooker. 
  • Combine flour, salt, and paprika in a small bowl.  Stir into meat until coated well.
  • Gently stir in remaining ingredients, combining well.
  • Cover.  Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or high for 3 to 4 hours.
  • Stir well before serving and ENJOY!
*I generally prepare this in the morning so I can cook it on low - I just find that this low and slow cooking style makes the beef far more tender than cooking it on high!*

No comments:

Post a Comment