- To prepare the chicken, combine the cinnamon, ginger, turmeric and coriander in a small bowl and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan on medium heat and place the chicken breasts in the pan. Fry for about 5 minutes, until they are nicely browned. Flip the chicken over and add the onion, water, garlic, orange juice and salt. Toss in the spices.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink.
- While the chicken is simmering, prepare the quinoa by bringing the quinoa and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off and leave the covered saucepan on the burner for an additional 7 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff with a fork.
- Remove the quinoa from the heat and toss with the butter, honey and salt. Stir in the cinnamon.
- To serve, divide the quinoa among 4 plates and top each with a piece of chicken. Pour the sauce over top. Refrigerate leftovers for up to 2 days.
Friday, January 21, 2011
Moroccan Chicken & Quinoa
I can hardly believe it has been an entire month since I last made an entry! I hope everyone had a great holiday season and isn't getting too frozen with the punishing weather we've been experiencing this January. Two weeks ago Greg and I went to the Mayan Riviera to check on our vacation villa that is being constructed in the gated community of Grand Sirenis Resort....+32C every day and lovely sunshine...sigh!
Anyway, upon our return I took India to see a naturopath due to some health issues she's been experiencing and it was suggested that she go on a diet that excludes wheat, yeast, dairy and nightshade vegetables...a little bit of a challenge for a girl who lives on carbs and dairy!! Not so for me! I borrowed a book that I bought my girlfriend Kathy for Christmas, "Quinoa: The Everyday Super Food" and found this incredible recipe. Reminds me when Greg and I were in Morocco! YUM!
MOROCCAN CHICKEN & QUINOA
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground coriander
2 tbsp butter or EVOO
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup diced onion
1 cup water
2 tsp orange juice
2/3 cup quinoa
1 1/3 cups water
1 tbsp butter
2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
**Prior to placing the quinoa in the pot with water, thoroughly rinse it in a sieve to remove the bitter saponin which coats the exterior of each grain**
**Identified as one of the world's healthiest foods, quinoa (pronounced KEEN-WAH) has a complete combination of all life-supporting nutrients, making it an ideal whole food to incorporate into your daily lifestyle! It is very easy to prepare, regardless of your cooking ability and is a nutritionally superior source of non-animal protein with optimal amino acid content, gluten-free and is a complex carbohydrate to help regulate blood sugar levels!! WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE?!**