- Put 1 can of beans with its liquid in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Drain and rinse other can of beans.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add leek, garlic, thyme and oregano. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the leeks are soft. Add celery, carrot, spinach and tomato; cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes, or until spinach is wilted.
- Stir pureed beans and stock into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Add drained beans and stir until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in warm bowls topped with grated Parmesan cheese.
Thursday, December 4, 2014
Zuppa de Fagioli
ZUPPA DE FAGIOLI
2 - 14oz cans of low-sodium cannellini beans (you can substitute white kidney beans)
1 tbsp. EVOO
I leek (white and light green parts), trimmed, sliced in half, cleaned and thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 tsp dried)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 celery stalks, diced
1 carrot, diced
2lbs spinach, trimmed and roughly chopped (you can substitute kale or Swiss chard)
2 ripe tomatoes, diced
4 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (optional)