- Preheat oven to 400F. Heat 2 teaspoons of EVOO in an ovenproof pot over medium heat. Cook the onion, stirring often to prevent sticking, until soft and slightly caramelized (approx. 10 to 12 minutes). Add the ground lamb, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Season with 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Cook until lamb is cooked through and no longer pink (3 to 4 minutes).
- Add stock, rice, and currants. Bring to a simmer. Cover and transfer to the oven on the lowest rack. Cook for 1 hr. and 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice eggplants in half lengthwise, brush each cut side with 1/4 tsp oil. Roast, cut side up, on a rimmed baking sheet on top oven rack until centres are soft and tops are browned (about 40 mins). Let cool.
- Gently scrape eggplant flesh into a large bowl, reserving skins*. Stir in lamb-rice mixture, chopped herbs, and lemon zest. Divide stuffing among eggplant skins. Garnish with more herbs and lemon zest.
- Enjoy with some toasted flat breads!!
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Eggplant with Lamb, Rice & Currants
EGGPLANT WITH LAMB, RICE & CURRANTS
1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3oz ground lamb
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 2/3 cups of chicken stock
1 cup short-grain brown rice
3 tbsp dried currants
4 small eggplants (or 2 large in my case!)
1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
Finely grated lemon zest of 1 lemon