Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 30, 2010

Kale Pesto


Last night the kids were planting trees with their Scout troops so I needed to whip up something quick and filling. I have been keeping my fridge pretty lean and mean and trying to use up what I have in my pantry, lately...so I grabbed this recipe from Homemakers Magazine, a bunch of kale, some of my Cooper's garlic that I have roasted and put in a mason jar with olive oil, and an onion. Although India refused to even taste it (probably because it was green...) Devon, Greg and I loved this recipe...3 out of 4 isn't bad!

KALE PESTO
Ingredients:
1 bunch (approx. 1 lb) of kale
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
6 cloves garlic
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup EVOO
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/3 cup grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese

  • Grasping the stem of the kale between your thumb and forefinger, strip the kale leaves off the stems. Place the kale, garlic, onion and 1/2 tsp salt in a large lidded saucepan, and fill with 3 cups water. Bring water to a boil; cover and cook over medium heat until the kale is tender (approx. 15 minutes).

  • Reserving the cooking water, place the vegetables and 3/4 cup of the cooking liquid in a food processor. Pulse until minced but not smooth.

  • Remove the pesto and mix with the EVOO, black pepper, remaining salt and Parmesan Reggiano cheese.

  • Stir in to your favourite cooked pasta and serve with some freshly ground cheese and pepper on top!

  • ENJOY!

If you add this to 1 lb of cooked pasta, it will serve 6. It also will include 24% of the recommended daily intake of iron, 68% of vitamin A, 88% of vitamin C, 16% of calcium and 15% folate!!!! Yummy AND great for you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment