Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 3, 2009

Rhubarb-A-Rama!!!


There is nothing, for me, that signifies springtime more than the annual arrival of the rhubarb crop!!! After making a couple of pies (rhubarb meringue pie, and a sour cream and rhubarb pie), I turned me thoughts to my newfound obsession of preserving. I scoured my recipe collection and found a few I had torn out of a "Canadian Living" in the thoughts of one day tackling the scary job of canning....well that day has arrived! I decided to create a chutney that can be enjoyed in the height of wintertime either on a baked brie, or just alongside a ploughman's lunch. Although I have the jars in my cupboard, I have yet to crack the seal on one - but I tasted it just prior to canning and I believe it will quickly become a family fave!!
RHUBARB TOMATO CHUTNEY
Ingredients:
4 cups chopped rhubarb
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 cups chopped, seeded and peeled tomatoes
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
  • In a large, shallow Dutch oven, combine rhubarb, sugar, tomatoes, vinegar, raisins, mustard seeds, ginger, garlic, salt and hot pepper sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is reduced to 4 cups. Approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
  • Ladle into hot 1 cup (250 mL) canning jars, leaving 1/2" headspace. Cover with prepared lids; screw on bands fingertip tight. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 mins.
  • Makes 4 cups (1L)
  • Enjoy on top of a baked brie, with robust cheeses or meats, or on a sandwich!


No comments:

Post a Comment