- Preheat the oven to 4ooF. In a large bowl combine the EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil) with the vegetables. Toss to coat completely.
- Spread the vegetables out on one or two baking sheets. Tuck the bay leaves and sprigs of herbs between them and roast for approximately 50 minutes (or until tender). Turn the vegetables occasionally to ensure even browning.
- Discard the herbs and place the vegetables in a large stock pot.
- Pour the vegetable stock into the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium high and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Puree the soup using either an immersion blender or standing blender. Return the pot to the heat and taste before seasoning.
Friday, March 20, 2009
Roasted Root Vegetable Soup
This is a fabulous recipe for using up the bits and pieces you find in your crisper and vegetable bins. Whenever I have veggies left that aren't enough for a complete meal, I make this soup and then freeze it!
ROASTED ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP
1/4 cup EVOO
1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 large parsnip, peeled and chopped
1 large or 2 small leeks, sliced lengthwise, rinsed and coarsely chopped (light green parts only)
1 onion, peeled and quartered
3 bay leaves
fresh thyme & rosemary sprigs, or a couple teaspoons of dried
5 cups vegetable stock
salt and pepper
at 5:01 PM