- Preheat oven to 4ooF. Lightly butter a 2 quart souffle dish (or casserole dish)
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon and reserve on a paper towel. Reduce heat to med-low and saute onion until translucent.
- Add Brussels sprouts and saute, stirring frequently to ensure even browning, until slightly soft. Transfer to a bowl and add reserved bacon, salt, pepper and pecans.
- Add potato slices to skillet and saute till brown. Add to the bowl.
- Whisk together maple syrup and melted butter until thickened. Add to vegetables and mix well to ensure everything is covered in the maple syrup mixture.
- Transfer veggies to baking dish and bake in oven for 20 minutes.
Friday, March 20, 2009
Brussel Sprouts & Sweet Potatoes with Maple Syrup
I have NEVER liked Brussels sprouts, so when my friend Shannon served them to us one night when we were visiting them, I was panicked! You have to be a good guest and eat what is served you right? Well, I am SO glad that I did eat them because now I am a Brussels convert - and I'm sure you will be too!!
BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH SWEET POTATOES AND MAPLE SYRUP
4 strips of bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 onion, finely chopped
2lb Brussels sprouts, cut in half lengthwise
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans (optional)
3 med. sweet potatoes, peeled sliced in half lengthwise, and cut into 1/2 moons
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted