Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 7, 2010

Quinoa & Chickpea Soup

I have recently joined the creator of "Booty Camp Fitness", Sammie Kennedy, in her 8 week online challenge. I completed a Booty Camp session in Mt. Albert and had amazing results so since a second session isn't being run, due to my instructor hurting her back (get better Erin!), I decided that this online challenge was just what I needed to give my booty a kick! The challenge consists of completing a 45 mins workout every day and some dietary restrictions (no dairy, no refined sugar, and no or 50% reduction in alcohol...not to mention a big salad daily). I knew that no dairy wouldn't be that huge of a challenge for me, but I didn't realize how difficult it would be to 'kick sugar'...it's in absolutely EVERYTHING! However, I am just watching labels more carefully and making substitutions where necessary.

I created this soup the other day and my family loved it (it was a little spicy for the kids but they ate it)! It's simple to prepare, nutritious, and absolutely delicious!!

QUINOA & CHICKPEA SOUP
Ingredients:
EVOO
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 onion, diced
1 tsp smoked paprika (spicy or regular is fine)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 whole tomatoes, chopped
4 cups vegetable stock
1 cup organic quinoa (rinsed and drained)
2 tbsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper, to taste
  • In a large pot, heat the EVOO over medium high heat. Add the onions and saute until tender. Add garlic, quinoa, paprika and cayenne. Stirring constantly to prevent sticking and burning, cook for 2 mins.
  • Add tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, stock, and chickpeas. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
  • Simmer for 30 mins. covered, stirring occasionally.
  • Add parsley and lemon juice and blend with an immersion blender to desired consistency.
  • Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary.
  • Serve and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment