3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup white rice
2 cups chicken broth
salt, to taste
1/2 lb fresh green beans
1 lb chicken breast, chicken cutlets, or tenders, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
3 tbsp tamari (dark soy sauce)
3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp hot pepper sauce
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp sesame oil
1 bunch of green onions (scallions) finely chopped
2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- In a large saucepan heat 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add the rice and toast, stirring often, for a minute or two. Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, lower the heat and cover. Simmer until tender - approx. 17 mins.
- In a large skillet, bring enough water to reach a depth of 1" to a boil, salt it, add the green beans and cook for 2 mins. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil over high heat until rippling. Add the chicken and cook until golden - 3 to 4 mins. Add the bell peppers and cook until softened, 3 mins. Add the green beans and cook, tossing for 1 minute.
- In a bowl, mix together the tamari, honey, hot sauce, mustard and remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth. Pour the sauce over the chicken and the vegetables; toss. Drizzle the sesame oil over the chicken.
- Stir the green onions into the rice and fluff with a fork. Serve the chicken over the rice and top with the toasted sesame seeds.