Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Apple, Onion & Ale Relish


As I logged in today to the blog I realized that it has been almost a month since my last post?! "What have I been doing with myself?", I asked. And then it hit me - I have been preserving like a woman crazed (if my pantry is anything to go by!)

I have been making Zucchini Relish, Tomato & Rhubarb Chutney, Strawberry Jam (by the truckload!), Sweet Watermelon Rind Pickles, Caramelized Vidalia Onions, Dill Pickles (both icicles and slices), Spicy & Sweet Mango Salsa, Salsa Verde, Apple, Onion & Ale Relish, Peppery Strawberry Salsa, and the favourite by far - Dilled Green & Yellow Beans!

So thankfully I haven't been exactly slacking! As I am sweating profusely over my steaming canner I hold fast to the vision of friends and family enjoying these summer flavours in the middle of a long and cold winter.

Yesterday I made the Apple,Onion & Ale Relish that I mentioned earlier, and it is so simple and delicious slathered over a crispbread topped with aged cheddar, I just felt I had to share the recipe! The malt and hops from the ale really add depth to this sweet and savoury relish. It comes from my new favourite book "The Complete Book of Pickling" by Jennifer MacKenzie. I picked it up at Costco for $14.99 and it has been an invaluable resource for unique recipes.
APPLE, ONION & ALE RELISH
Ingredients
4 cups finely chopped onions
2 tbsp pickling salt
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup cider vinegar
2 cups finely chopped peeled tart soft apples (McIntosh or Granny Smith)
1 cup dark ale (I used "Chimay" a Trappist Monk's ale)
4 cups finely chopped peeled tart cooking apples (McIntosh or Granny Smith)
6 - 250mL jars
  • In a large non-reactive bowl, combine onions and salt. Cover and let stand at a cool room temperature for 2 hours.
  • Meanwhile, prepare the canner, jars and lids.
  • In a colander lined with cheesecloth, working in batches, drain and rinse onions well. Drain again and squeeze out excess liquid. Set aside in colander to continue draining.
  • In a large pot, combine brown sugar, mustard seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg and vinegar. Brint to a boil over medium heat, stirring often until sugar is dissolved.
  • Increase heat to medium-high and add drained onions, soft apples and ale; return to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring often for about 10 minutes, or until apples start ot break down and mixture is slightly thickened.
  • Stir in cooking apples and return to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring often to prevent sticking, for about 2 minutes, or until cooking apples just start to soften but don't break down.
  • Ladle hot relish into hot jars, leaving 1/2" (1cm) headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjsut headspace as necessary by adding hot relish. Wipe rim and place hot lid disc on jar. Screw band down until fingertip tight.
  • Place jars in canner and return to boil. Process for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and remove canner lid. Let jars stand in water for 5 minutes. Transfer jars to a towel-lined surface, and allow to stand for 24 hours. Reprocess any jars that the lids did not seal properly on to.
  • Store in a dark and cool cupboard until you are ready to enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment