Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Chocolate Cupcakes...With Advocado and Cauliflower?!







I am a HUGE fan of deceiving my children...when it comes to their food that is! That's why after seeing Jessica Seinfeld on television promoting her cookbook "Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food", I knew I had to buy it. Most of these recipes my children love and don't even realize that they are getting hearty portions of veggies and fruit along with their old faves!
I made this for after school snacks and they gobbled them up!



CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES

Ingredients:

1 cup advocado puree
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup nonfat milk
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 lrg egg whites
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 8oz pkg. reduced-fat cream cheese
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup cauliflower puree
2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
  • Preheat the oven to 350F. Coat a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray, line with baking cups, or use a silicone one like I have.

  • In a large mixing bowl, beat the advocado puree, sugar, milk, vanilla, and vinegar until smooth. Beat in the egg whites one at a time, just until incorporated.

  • Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix until smooth. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake until the tops of the cupcakes are lightly browned and spring back to the touch - 15 to 20 minutes. Turn out onto a rack to cool completely before frosting them.

  • For the frosting, beat together the cream cheese, sugar, cauliflower puree, vanilla, and salt until smooth. Spread over the cooled cupcakes.

  • Store the cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or freeze for up to a month.

  • ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. I've wanted this book too, but I've heard a few bad things about the recipes (and also that she ripped the idea straight from another book). But I might try these; if your kids liked them, then maybe mine will. Although my kids aren't too adventerous with food, they will eat broccoli and cauliflower!! I'm just not sure about cauliflower in the icing, LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guys will also eat broccoli and cauliflower, just not in the quantities that they probably should. I do this recipe and the cheese sticks, mac and cheese, mini burgers, and brownies - all delish! I don't know if she actually ripped anyone off, or if that person is just piggybacking on her name & fame...all I know is my guys like these recipes and I bust them out maybe once a week or so!

    ReplyDelete