Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 20, 2009

The Best Potluck Dish...EVER?!


Although I am sure you are tired of hearing me say it, but I created this dish using ingredients that I received in my CSA basket from "Cooper's CSA Farm & Maze". When growing season is upon us and we receive bushel baskets brimming with produce, rather than try to use it all at once, I simply process the veggies (trim, peel, blanch, chop, etc.) and freeze them in my chest freezer until a time where I will need them - with the added bonus that they are pretty much ready to go as I took the time to trim and chop them prior to freezing!
This recipe is one that I have had for YEARS and have pulled out time and again whenever I am asked to produce a potluck meal. It is quick, nutritious, and tastes delicious!!!


LAYERED VEGETABLE CASSEROLE
Ingredients:

10 to 12 medium sized potatoes, peeled and halved
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp salt
300g of frozen, chopped spinach - defrosted and squeezed dry
2 thinly sliced green onions
1 egg, slightly beaten
300g of frozen, squash puree
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 cup of grated, sharp cheddar cheese
EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) or cooking spray for casserole dish

1. Place peeled and halved potatoes in a large pot filled with salted water. Boil for 20 to 30 mins. until soft. Drain and mash stirring in 2 tbsp butter, sour cream and 1/2 tsp salt.
2. Stir drained spinach together with green onions, egg, 1 tbsp butter and 1/4 tsp salt.
3. Stir squash puree together with 1 tbsp butter, ginger and 1/4 tsp salt.
4. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a large casserole dish with EVOO or cooking spray. Using a silicone spatula (I find this is the best tool for the job!) spread 1/3 of the mashed potatoes evenly, on the bottom of the dish. Evenly spread all of the squash on top of the potatoes, followed by 1/2 of the remaining mashed potatoes - remember to smooth out evenly. Then follow with the spinach mixture and the remaining potatoes. Sprinkle cheddar over top of the casserole and bake in the oven, uncovered, for 55-60 mins!
5. ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment