- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or other heavy pot with a lid. Add the chicken and brown evenly. Transfer chicken to a paper towels to drain.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots and garlic to the pot and cook gently for 5 to 7 minutes, or until lightly coloured. Add the stock and saffron. Stir in the almonds, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Return the chicken to the pot and add enough water to almost cover the chicken.
- Heat to a simmer, then cover the pot tightly and cook gently for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the chicken is pierced with a knife.
- Remove the chicken to a warmed serving platter, cover and keep warm. Boil the cooking liquid to reduce it to a thicker consistency and intensify the flavours.
- Scatter the cilantro leaves over top and serve.
Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Moroccan Chicken Tagine with Almonds & Saffron
MOROCCAN CHICKEN TAGINE WITH ALMONDS & SAFFRON
2 tbsp olive oil
4 large chicken breasts
2 onions, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
2 small carrots, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2/3 cup chicken stock
A large pinch of saffron threads
1/3 cup almonds, freshly ground (or almond meal)
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup of roughly chopped cilantro leaves