Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 13, 2011

Classic Macaroni & Cheese

I went looking for this recipe on the blog as it is something I haven't made for a while and since it is so damp and chilly outside, would go down perfectly for dinner tonight.  Imagine my surprise when I discovered that I had only blogged about a more 'dressed-up' version, and not this one!!!  Although the recipe that I entitles "The Yummiest Mac and Cheese" is delicious, this is a recipe handed down from my Mum, who used to make this for both my brother and I ~ it remains a firm favourite with both of us...and now my family!!

CLASSIC MACARONI & CHEESE
Ingredients:
375 g macaroni (or any shaped pasta)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 cup macaroni water*
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (or any cheese you fancy that will melt nicely)
1 tsp dried mustard powder
Black pepper and sea salt, to taste

  • Preheat oven to 450F.
  • Cook macaroni according to package directions.  When draining the macaroni, ensure that you reserve 1 cup of the water to help thicken the sauce.
  • Melt butter in large pot, whisk in the flour until incorporated.  Add the milk and macaroni water while whisking to incorporate.  Bring to a boil whisking continuously to ensure a smooth, thickened sauce.  Remove from heat.
  • Add 3/4 of the grated cheese and stir until melted.   Stir in the macaroni and place in a greased baking dish. 
  • Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese and bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden on top.
  • ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment