- For the crust, place flour, sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse gently till combined. Add butter and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Add vinegar and pulse until mixture begins to form a ball. Remove dough and gather into a ball.
- Lightly oil a 9" tart tin with a removable bottom. Place dough ball in the centre of the pan and using the palm of your hand, press dough from the middle of pan to edges. With your fingertips, press dough up the sides of the pan until the dough is even with the rim. The pastry will be very thin. Refrigerate for 30 mins.
- Position rack in bottom of oven and preheat to 400F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk in milk, cream, salt and pepper. Crumble goat cheese into a large bowl. Using the back of a wooden spoon, mash cheese. Continue mashing while gradually adding egg mixture. Mixture may be a little lumpy. Add in snipped chives.
- Quarter tomatoes lengthwise, cut out seeds and core. Arrange tomato quarters in chilled crust in a circular pattern. In between tomatoes, add asparagus pieces (trim end and cut into 1 1/2" lengths or smaller)
- Slowly pour egg mixture over top and swirl gently to evenly distribute chives over tart.
- Place tart pan on a baking sheet and bake in oven for 35 to 40 mins, or until the centre of the tart is still a little jiggly.
- Remove from heat and let stand 15 minutes prior to slicing.
- Serve warm or room temperature and ENJOY!
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
Aparagus & Tomato Tart With Chevre
ASPARAGUS & TOMATO TART WITH CHEVRE
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
4 tsp white vinegar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup of half and half cream
1/4 tsp each salt and freshly ground black pepper
5 oz log of goat's cheese (chevre)
1/4 cup snipped fresh chives
4 plum or small tomatoes
4 spears of asparagus