- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown the beef, onions, garlic, salt, and pepper. Once the beef is browned, add the tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, stir in the rice, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Place 2 cups of the shredded cabbage (I chop mine using my food processor as it is faster!), in a greased 9"x13" lasagna dish. Cover the cabbage with 1/2 the rice mixture and repeat the layers.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with sour cream.
Friday, July 29, 2011
Cabbage Roll Casserole
Years ago when I used to hold a giant Easter Egg Hunt at our place, Alison Roberts made this dish for her potluck contribution and it was an instant hit with everyone! My children loved it so much that it is a staple in our house ~ and since cabbage season is soon approaching and green cabbage should be appearing in our CSA box from Cooper's CSA Farm & Maze, I thought I would post this quick and delicious casserole!
CABBAGE ROLL CASSEROLE
1 1/2 lbs of ground beef
2 medium onions, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 14oz can of tomato sauce
1/2 cup long grain rice, uncooked
4 cups cabbage, shredded