1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Freshly ground black pepper
Oil for frying (my favourite is coconut)
- Place dried chickpeas in a bowl, covering with cold water. Allow to soak overnight. Omit this step if using canned beans. Drain chickpeas, and place in pan with fresh water, and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for 5 minutes, then let simmer on low for about an hour. Drain and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Combine chickpeas, garlic, onion, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper (to taste) in medium bowl. Add flour.
- Mash chickpeas, ensuring to mix ingredients together. You can also combine ingredients in a food processor. You want the result to be a thick paste.
- Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball. Slightly flatten.
- Fry in 2 inches of oil until golden brown (5-7 minutes).
- Serve hot.