Assorted cut veggies
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onions until tender and browned (approx 10 to 15 mins)
- Stir in parsley and cream cheese until smooth. Spoon into a serving dish (it looks great in a hollowed-out bell pepper!)
- Serve warm or cold with crackers or vegetables!
PINEAPPLE & LIME FRUIT DIP
1 can of crushed pineapple (8oz), well drained
1 cup sour cream
1 tbsp packed brown sugar
1 tsp finely grated lime zest
Assorted cut fruits
- In a small bowl mix the first four ingredients well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Spoon dip into a serving bowl (it looks great in a hollowed-out pineapple halved lengthwise!) and place on a platter with the assorted fruit for dipping!
KEY LIME IN A GLASS PUNCH
4 cups softened vanilla ice cream
4 cups softened lime sherbet
4 cups 2% milk
6 oz can of lemonade concentrate, thawed
6 oz can of limeade concentrate, thawed
2 cups of water
4 cups club soda
- Stir ice cream, sherbet and milk in a large punch bowl.
- In a pitcher, stir together the limeade and lemonade with the water. Pour over the ice cream.
- Slowly add club soda and stir.
SOBA NOODLES WITH PEA SHOOTS AND SHIITAKES
1 pkg of soba noodles (8oz) - Japanese buckwheat noodles
1 tbsp each, of sesame & vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
10 oz (300g) of shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
12 oz snow pea shoots (375g)
1/3 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup sodium-reduced soy sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp granulated sugar
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook soba noodles until tender (5 mins). Stir gently and reduce heat because they tend to boil over. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat half of the sesame and vegetable oils over med-high heat; saute garlic until fragrant (15 seconds), add mushrooms and saute for another 4 mins, or until tender. Add to noodles.
- In the skillet heat the remaining oils and stir-fry the pea shoots until wilted and tender (5 mins). Add to noodle mixture.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sugar. Pour over noodles and stir well. Serve at room temperature, or cooled.
FRESH PEA & MINT CROSTINI
1/3 cup EVOO
1 cup fresh peas (or frozen)
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan Reggiano
3 tbsp packed fresh mint leaves
2 tsp lemon juice
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper
- Cut the baguette into thin slices and arrange on a baking sheet. Brush with EVOO and broil until crispy and brown. Set aside.
- In a saucepan of boiling salted water cook peas until tender. Drain and chill in ice water to preserve the bright green colour and to stop cooking process.
- In a food processor, puree together the ricotta, remaining oilk grated Parmesan Reggiano, mint, lemon juice, garlic, salt & pepper. Pulse in peas until crushed but still chunky.
- Top each crostini with some of the pea mixture and enjoy!
ICED LETTUCE & PEA SOUP
2 tbsp EVOO
1 bunch of green onions, coarsely chopped
10 cups chopped romaine lettuce (approx. 2 heads)
3 cups sodium-reduced chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups fresh or thawed peas
1 tsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp each of salt & pepper
1/2 cup buttermilk or sour cream
- In a large pot heat EVOO over medium heat. Cook onions until softened (2 mins) and add the lettuce. Cover and cook until wilted, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins.
- Stir in broth, 1/2 cup water, peas, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, recude heat and simmer covered for 10 mins.
- In a blender (or using an immersion blender) puree soup until smooth. Strain into a large bowl, pressing on solids. Whisk in buttermilk, cover and refrigerate until cold.
- Serve in bowls with fresh dill sprigs and crumbled goat cheese.
1 pkg (250g) cream cheese, softened
3 cups cold milk
2 pkgs of vanilla instant pudding (4 serving size)
2 1/2 cups thawed cool whip topping, divided
48 Nilla vanilla wafers
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, divided and cooled
2 squares of Baker's semi-sweet chocolate
1 cup of fresh raspberries
- Beat cream cheese until creamy and then beat in milk and pudding mixes. Stir in 2 cups of Cool Whip.
- Line 2 1/2L bowl with 24 Nilla wafers; drizzle with 1/4 cup of coffee. Top with half each of pudding and chocolate. Repeat all layers.
- Top with remaining Cool Whip and raspberries. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
*You can substitute the coffee with chocolate milk!
The recipes for the dips came from a Betty Crocker appetizers book, the tiramisu from a Kraft Kitchens magazine, and the rest from Canadian Living!