Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 5, 2011

Back to School!

"It's the most wonderful time of the year!"

Although my kids HATE me singing that annoying 'back to school' song from the "Staples" commercial, I truly feel like fall is the most wonderful time of the year.  Now I know many of you will debate with me that it is in fact still the tail-end of summer, but with the trees already displaying tinges of autumnal colour, the thermometer is reading lower temperatures due to the northerly winds, and the sun is setting earlier ~  it just feels like fall to me already!
Since India and Devon are heading back to school tomorrow (grades 5 and 3), my mind turns to lunchbox snacks.  I admit it.  I HATE MAKING SCHOOL LUNCHES!!!!  But it is a necessary task at this time of year, and one that doesn't need to be daunting if a little premptive planning is employed!  (Yeah, talk to me come December, I know!)  Our apple and pear trees have burst forth with an amazing amount of fruit this year and we have already enjoyed a Dutch apple pie from the grounders.  So I sent the kids out to the front meadow to pick apples and pears this afternoon, while I fired up my canner and got all the necessary items to make "blushing apple/pear sauce"!
I have a feeling that the house will smell of sweet apples for quite some time as the children collected so many both my kitchen sinks are overflowing, as well as a couple of milk crates!!!
I just gave both India and Devon a little taste of the first batch (which I added some organic brown sugar and cinnamon to) and they are already begging for bowls-full!

If you want to make some homemade blushing applesauce, just click here for the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment